All your questions about same-sex marriage and tax filings: answered

If you’re having more questions than answers when it comes to how to file your taxes as a same-sex couple, the Internal Revenue Service is here to help.

They’ve got an entire section on their website dedicated to all your tax-related same-sex marriage questions.

Wondering if you can file jointly or separately? The IRS says you can. As of 2013, same-sex couples can file married filing separately or jointly filing status.

Keep in mind that a taxpayer’s spouse can’t be a dependent of the taxpayer.

When it comes to head of household status, be sure to read the fine print.

“A taxpayer who is married cannot file using head of household filing status,” the IRS says.

“However, a married taxpayer may be considered unmarried and may use the head-of-household filing status if the taxpayer lives apart from his or her spouse for the last 6 months of the taxable year and provides more than half the cost of maintaining a household that is the principal place of abode of the taxpayer’s dependent child for more than half of the year.”

When it comes to children, you may be curious who can claim the child if you are married and filing separately.

Only one parent may claim a dependency deduction for a child, but not both parents. If both parents claim a child, the IRS will favor the parent with the higher adjusted gross income.

When it comes to a person adopting the child of their spouse, that person cannot claim the adoption credit for that child.

For home matters, same-sex marriages get the same benefits as those of heterosexual marriages. Spouse get a refund on Social Security, Medicare, and other benefits for domestic services done at home if they were done on an employee level.

For detailed answers on healthcare, Social Security, and other same-sex marriage tax questions, see what the IRS says.

Leave a Reply